The champions of democracy..


I've paid my dues -
Time after time -
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime -
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face -
But I've come through
I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls -
But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise -
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -
And I ain't gonna lose -
We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -

- Queen, We are the champions, 1977

To all those who champion the cause of freedom and democracy, apt words indeed. This song was on right after I heard about Benazir Bhutto's assassination today afternoon. There's not much more I can add to that really, except to probably muse on the fact that whatever her failings, Bhutto was a beacon of moderateness in an Islamic society that is today in the eye of a fundamentalist maelstrom. And that is a stand not easily taken.

4 comments:

Renovatio said...

Well look at the now, at least it's shaping up to a bit of democracy. At least until Kiyani or the next guy decide to take up coup number four.

Zee said...

sad how it needs a person to be murdered for the people to awaken....did u hear the plea of the woman from the human rights commission? truly touching...

Parul said...

I echo your thoughts with Killing joke democracy lyrics

That Armchair Philosopher said...

@ren - heh, with unending bouts of suicide bombings and tardy investigations, I'm not even sure whats going to happen - but democracy? by a far sight not any time soon!

@zee - true. no, i didn't actually. asma jehangir? I should look it up..

@parul - welcome! Interesting, I don't think I've heard that song. I think I just found it on youtube :)